Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Done with Radiation!

Yesterday was my final day of radiation! Not only was it my last day of radiation, it was my last day of all cancer treatment. Forever.

It's hard to believe I've been in treatment for 8 months. It seems both shorter and longer. It's still kind of surreal.

I had 33 rounds of radiation. 27 to my whole breast, chest, and armpit. And the final 6 were to my mastectomy scar line. I'm happy to report that burns in my armpit are already getting better thanks to Aquaphor, Miaderm, and Silver Sulfadiazine cream. I'm starting to feel major fatigue and probably will for the next several weeks. But it's nothing I can't manage.

Elise came with me to my last day of radiation (she stayed in the waiting room with my Mom). We wore pink to celebrate!

DONE!

Now I will have follow up appointments with all three of my oncologists (radiation, medical, and surgical) every 3-4 months. And in 6 months I can have my permanent reconstruction surgery (the implants I have now are temporary). TNBC is most likely to reoccur/metastasize within three years, so there will be lots of vigilance in watching me for a while.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats girl! You are glowing and Elise has gotten so big! Love her smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a super woman! I seriously teared up when I saw that pic on IG this morning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the last day!!!! So happy for your family and THRILLED to hear your burns are healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Emily said above, you ARE a super woman. I couldn't be happier to see that you've come so far. And on top of all of that, you've beat cancer with a baby girl by your side. You're such an inspiration K. So proud of you for how you've handled all of this with such a wonderful attitude and strong faith. You're amazing my friend!!

    ReplyDelete